This past November marks 3 years since I have applied a straightening relaxer to my hair. For some in question a relaxer is a type of lotion or cream generally used by people with tight curls or very curly hair which makes hair easier to straighten by chemically “relaxing” the natural curls. The active agent is usually a strong alkali, although some formulations are based on ammonium thioglycolate instead. I “relaxed” my hair for 20 years. Even though I have always had a pretty decent amount of healthy hair during that time, I am happy on the decision to leave the chemicals alone. I was terrified to embrace my natural hair, due to the environment I worked in and how I would be perceived by my peers. Since my decision my hair is stronger, has more personality, and I am more confident in who I am.
October 2016 I cut a few inches off and transitioned into a fiery copper color!! 💇🏽😍 Surprising to me, my curl pattern changed. I feel in love with the new curls, I actually wanted to cut more. I must say I love being a natural curl girl! It allows me to be creative with my hair, and it’s so many products and styles to try. Each week is a new adventure with my hair, how exciting!
I received quite a few goodies from the Bella Kinks Natural Hair Expo. Below are reviews, and styles with various products.
Lacee Beauty (Dallas, TX)-
Color transition – My hair can’t handle lighter colors in the fall. I typically go darker in the fall, my hair always speaks to me. Listen to your hair ladies! My beautician is great, she has given my natural hair life and she doesn’t do anything that doesn’t benefit the health of my hair.
Style – Wash and Go
- I washed with The Natural Hair Cleansing Cream Shampoo, and conditioned with the Hydrating Cream Conditioner
- Applied the Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream to enhance my curl pattern
- Topped it off with the Define & Shine Custard to hold the style
This was my first attempt at a Wash and Go style and I definitely have some more learning to do. Overall it wasn’t bad, but the custard was a little flaky. I can’t say I cared for that.
Style – Braid Out
- I washed with the African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo, and conditioned with the Balancing Conditioner
- I applied the Dandruff Control Hair Masque, and sat with my Hot Head Thermal Hair Care for 30 min
- I sectioned my hair and applied the Dandruff & Dry Scalp Elixir to my scalp, and braided my hair with the Curl Enhancing Smoothie
I chose this particular brand of Shea Moisture due to a scalp condition I have called, Seborrhea Capitis. I was overall satisfied with the brand, and I will continue to do the masque regimen once a month. My hair was really soft after the Masque, and the Curl Enhancing Smoothie definitely had my curls popping!
#AMILLONWAYSTOSHEA – 👈🏾 CLICK ON THE LINK!! Shea Moisture has over 100 products, and that alone is frustrating!! So this awesome tool helps simplify things for you. All you have to do is upload a pic, cause I know you have a selfie! You’ll be prompted to answer a few questions about your hair, and what you’re looking for…. then WAYLAY! You’ll have suggested products based upon your answers.
Style – Twist Out
- I washed with Moisture Rich Sulfate Free Shampoo, and conditioned with the Triple Moisture Replenishing Conditioner
- I let my hair air dry for about an hour, before I apply my styler
- I applied the Twist & Define Cream for twists
- I used the Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer later in the week to refresh my style
💡 I absolutely loved the Hot Head Thermal Hair Care Bonnet. I deep condition my hair once a month, and the convenience of this bonnet has me no longer sitting under a dryer. I was able to condition my hair while taking care of duties around the house. I encourage you to check it out for your hair care needs.
💡I always use TGIN’s Argan Replenishing Hair and Body Serum when taking down my twists, or braids. I also use it daily to add shine and moisture to my style.
💡Cantu and Shea Moisture has a product line for Men, and Kids.
Bella Kinks Natural Hair Expo